Friday, March 10, 2006

Generic Analysis and the Infinite Monkey

The four years I spent obtaining my professional degree from the Visvesaraiah Technological University, Belgaum, Karnataka, India, would have been a complete waste had I actually studied only Computer Science & Engineering, which is what my parents thought they were paying for. Luckily for them as investors in my future, I was a consistently lazy child. As a result almost all of my exams were passed on a week's work. But what I did learn, besideshow to con my way into the teacher's good books, was that the worst thing you can ever do to yourself is to specialize in a given area. I do not advocate my methods, because aerobatics without a safety net is not exactly a smart thing to. However, by not limiting my specialization, I have gained considerable mileage from scenarios where most people will not

Chaos theory tells us that it is impossible to predict the behaviorof complex systems.

The insane amounts paid to enigineering graduates to work in the Great Indian IT Industry, irrespective of their specialization and particular branch of engineering, bears testimony to the fact that market value of a professional has less to do with what he knows, and more to do with what he has the ptential to learn and do in the future.

2 comments:

Ashwin Raj said...

Does this imply that an infinite number of so-so skilled IT professionals with infinite development tools will come up with all software ever knowable to man all in an instant???

ratulmukh said...

We all know the kinds of jobs that come to India. They are low-end ones that any guy can do, provided he knows C and has basic aptitute. The real comp. sci jobs are the ones where you need to have atleast a Masters degree. You will hardly see them here. If you are going to the US, check out the industrial labs there, and the kind of work they do.

Search This Blog

Blog Archive